Martin Pallard Professional Corporation

Chartered Accountant

Certified Public Accountant (New Hampshire, USA)

US Tax Services – 1040 Returns for US Citizens

Fort McMurray is home to many US citizens.  Some have lived here their entire lives while others are here temporarily.  US citizens must be aware that in contrast to Canada, which taxes based on residency, US taxation is based on citizenship.  As such, US citizens and green card holders are required to file US tax returns regardless of where they live.  

Taxation of US citizens abroad can be complex.  Not only must taxpayers understand the various mechanisms used to eliminate double tax but they must also understand the IRS’s various other reporting requirements.  

In addition, several Canadian tax structures such as Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP), Registered Education Savings Plans (RESP), Tax Free Savings Accounts (TFSA), and mutual funds can have their own unique US income tax implications.  

To learn more about our tax services for US citizens please contact our office.  A licensed US Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is here to help.